Thursday, June 2, 2011

Knowledge from the Trail


Well we made the journey in 1 week! The same trip which took settlers 5 months, and Lewis and Clark (and Bowman) a year. We managed to make the journey without having a broken axle, getting yellow fever , malaria or dysentery, and the oxen never once got tired. I cannot imagine making this trip at the speed of oxen.

After traveling across the entire continent I can tell you that it is WIDE, mostly lacking in trees, and BORING. Most of the country is either flat fields of national product, corn, or vast scrub wastelands.

I don’t know if it is by-product of growing up in one of the most beautiful parts of the country or if it is that I only feel that way because I am from there, but I think Virginia really is one of the most appealing states. I will give Oregon a try, and I feel it is quite the contender with the unbelievable landscapes we saw on our way in.




1 comment:

  1. Good Luck guys! Can't wait to visit the wild, wild west! Ill be in contact...

    ReplyDelete