Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fulfilled a childhood dream: LEGOLAND!


When I was a kid I heard about this magical fantasyland called Legoland. There was one in Denmark (home of the Lego), and one in California. Both places seemed unfathomably distant, and equally impossible to reach, so over the years the hope of ever reaching this magical place faded…

Fastforward about 15-ish years… I find out that Legoland is only 45 minutes away from Temecula CA, and they can get a military discount! It has been so long since I have even seen a Lego, that I had forgotten that Legoland existed, but I was immediately obsessed with going. And suddenly, something which was completely unattainable as a kid, was simply a hop, skip, and a jump away. So we went…

The experience of being at Legoland, is maybe not as magical is it would seem if I was there when I was maybe 10 years old. When we passed through the turnstiles my initial glee quickly turned into a kind of what-the-hell-are-we-doing-here dread, when it occurred to me how old I am.

And it was pretty damn awesome! The Star Wars exhibit was in itself well worth the price of the ticket. Mini USA was also very impressive. We rode some rides, which would have been more fun if we were maybe 5 as the park is clearly designed for kids…

I got all I wanted, and more from the visit, which was to see some fantastic displays of creativity through Legos and live out a childhood dream. It really makes me want to play with Legos… or better yet, find out how you get the job of designing and building the exhibits at Legoland.

I am including several picture collages for your enjoyment.





No comments:

Post a Comment