Monday, May 13, 2013

Get Reel!


A reel mower is real experience to behold.

My reel mower in its parking spot.

For years I have been using a reel mower to mow my lawn, and I love it! I find cutting grass with these silly machines to be far more fun, more rewarding, and a little Zen. So much so, that I thought I'd share a bit about them.


Using a reel mower is kind of a lifestyle choice. If you feel you can kick the habit for a perfect lawn, you can also be free from that gas-guzzling, smoke-spewing, money-pit of a machine which you are unknowingly a slave to. 

Take back your turf! 
Achieve lawn-care fossil-fuel independence! 
Experience Zen in maintaining dominion over your lawn. 
Viva la Reel-volution!! 



The perfect lawn and The American Dream

The manicured lawn is a staple of American pride, and the riding lawnmower has practically developed into a status symbol. I feel like this lawn care obsession has a distinct American quality to it. Further Reading.

Anecdotal Evidence: Back in middle school, some visitors from Denmark came to our small town. I’ll never forget when one the brothers asked in his quaint Danish accent if we owned “one of those little cars that evens out the grass”.  It took a moment to realize that he was referring to riding lawnmower! When we said of course, their faces lit up and to everyone’s delight we took turns taking this extremely novel machine for a spin.


 Reel mowers: Not all are created equal.

I have encountered quite a few of these lawn-mowers in my time (I would assume more than the average person), and therefore feel I can maybe yield some useful advice.

Growing up in the country we had several antique, extremely heavy, clunky reel mowers stashed in out-buildings. On occasion I would lug one of these mowers out and take it for a spin across the grass. It’s a silly machine and a novel experience and thus my affinity for reel mowers began at a young age.

When I got my first job, I bought a brand-new Scotts version at Home Depot. It was overpriced, felt cheaply built, and didn't work too well. I have also used various others purchased at thrift stores. They show up at thrift stores fairly often as if they are going out of style. We will see about that!

I bought my current one at the Ballard Goodwill for $2.99! All I did to fix it up was put some bicycle handlebar grip tape on it. It’s made by the American Lawn Mower Company. It is marketed as the “Deluxe - Full Feature” model, but goes for only about $100 on Amazon, which is a great deal compared to the price, performance, and shoddiness of all other modern reel mowers I have seen. 

If you ever run into this brand (especially at a thrift store), snatch it up, because it is the best reel mower I have seen. It’s easy to push, cuts well, and is quality built (in America!). It is a fantastic machine and I love it.

The best reel mower I have encountered.  American quality.
Second-hand consumerism: $2.99 at the Ballard Goodwill!

Reel mowers are not for everyone or every situation.

They are not ideal for:

  • Large lawns. This is where they get ya.
  • Tall grass. You need to keep on top of your mowing.
  • Lawns with junk that might get caught in the blades (twigs, dog toys!). They are more sensitive to jamming than gas-powered mowers. However, you a can run right over the hose, no problem! …which I appreciate.
  • Maintaining that pristine manicured lawn look, but I personally prefer the aesthetic that they leave behind.




But here is what is great about them


  • Quiet, calm, and overall non-abrasive, which I find makes mowing far more enjoyable.
  • Less abusive to the user. They don’t rattle your bones, vibrate your eyeballs, deafen your ears, or choke your lungs.
  • LOW maintenance! As in … there is virtually no maintenance. 
  • Requires no external energy source, except you… and consequently is good exercise! A good machine with sharp blades doesn't require much more work than pushing a shopping cart.
  • Non-limb-threatening! So Sagan can hang out in the grass while I mow. In fact, as a game I chase him around with the mower, and we both get exercise!
  • You don’t have to worry with gas, which is convenient: no gas can or funnel, no trips to get gas, so it’s available to use on a whim, with absolutely no forethought!  Just get mowin. There are also no harsh liquids, fumes, or spills to worry about!
  • They are the apocalypse-proof lawn care solution! Regardless of the cause of the coming apocalypse, be it peak-oil, a natural disaster, or zombies, you’ll be sittin’ pretty. While everyone else is out panicking and pillaging, trying to figure out how to maintain their precious lawns, you can rest assured that your reputation among the neighbors will remain untarnished.
  • Did I mention that they operate for FREE!
This what the lawn looks like about ~2 days after mowing with a reel mower.
Not perfect, but aesthetically pleasing nonetheless.
Quick Fact: 
The EPA estimates a lawnmower operating for 1 hour emits an equivalent amount of pollution to driving a car for approximately 45 miles!

Lawn mowers, although small, contribute a noticeable piece (about 5%) of the worlds exhaust plume. This is due to a historical lack of regulation (although better in recent years) and therefore lack of lawnmower exhaust treatment. 

Baby steps towards fossil fuel independence people, baby steps. Don’t let your beautiful lawn become a burden on the world. BONUS: Since they reduce our dependence on foreign oil, they also contribute to homeland security!

So at the risk of being labeled “un-American,” I humbly suggest we consider if the maintenance of our yards is as enjoyable as the joy the yard itself returns. If the burden of upkeep is more than the reward, then shouldn't we seek out more satisfying alternatives? Possibly reducing the mowable portion and/or incorporating the concepts of xeriscaping and/or permaculture into the landscape. Or take a reel mower for a spin!

Cutting your lawn can be fun again if you get reel! Your ears and lungs will thank you. You will be happier & healthier. But most importantly, you’ll have more money to invest in solar panels for your house! 

John and Yoko support it!   (Or at least they do in a world with Photoshop.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment