Sunday, July 3, 2011

The City of Roses

Although Portland has many nicknames, its official nickname is "The City of Roses."

We finally made it to the Rose Garden with our new friend Annie. After just missing prime Rhododendron viewing, I am happy to say that we made it to prime rose viewing! And WOW!
I think it is one of my favorite places. The Rose Garden has hundreds of rose plots. All of which are different! Who would ever think there are sooo many varieties of roses. SO MANY varieties! One unbelievably VIVID color after another.
And such fantastic smells (not all rose smells are created equal!). Some were “rosey,” some perfume-y, some sweet, some spicy, some not fragrant at all, some with very familiar smells that you juuust couldn’t put your olfactory glands on, and every combination in between. We pinpointed several smells: Fruit Loops, “dinner”, some kind of candy, an office store (it seriously smelled like a Staples store). The absolute best smelling one, and one of the most pleasant smells I have maybe ever smelled, was named New Zealand.
A very beautiful garden that I wish everyone could experience in its prime. I can't imagine a better place to indulge in beautiful colors and pleasant fragrances.
I have included a collage of close-ups that I have taken.
I have already decided that several of my favorite varieties will be included in my future garden.
Click on the Photos for a way better version!

No comments:

Post a Comment